From Social Patterns
The user has created a collection and wants to display it to other people.
- Use this pattern when creating opportunities for people to create collections of things.
- Use this pattern to allow users to show off their collection outside of the original location of the collection.
- Allow users to create modules or badges that display a portion of their collection.
- Provide users with a url or embed tag for the collection display that allows them to add it as a module or widget to their personal sites or blogs.
- Consider creating widgets to display collections on the major social networks like MySpace, Facebook and sites like Yahoo!
- Allow the user to select a subset of items to display. Consider limiting the item count or filter by a tag or date range.
- Items displayed should link back to the originating site. If the item is a URL then link the tags or other metadata back to the parent (provider of the widget) site.
People spend a lot of time collecting, curating and managing their collections. Once these collections are created and curated, owners usually want to display and share their collection with others.
When connections and friends comment or rate these collections, or even just view the display, the owner's work is validated as having been worth their time. Additionally, they may be seen as an expert in the area of interest which enhances their reputation, thereby increasing their likelihood of doing more collecting.